On Wednesday 27 February 2002 21.54, Malcolm Hunter wrote: > On Wednesday 27 Feb 2002 17:49, Stefan Asserh=E4ll wrote: > > On Wednesday 27 februari 2002 11.33, Rinse de Vries wrote: > > > In The netherlands, half past 1 =3D half 2 (half before 2) > > > twentyfive past 1 =3D vijf voor half 2 (five minutes before half > > > before 2) Then, are these translations correct? > > > > No. The same is true in Swedish, where half past 1 =3D halv 1, and > > twenty five past 1 =3D fem i halv 2. The correct translations are: > > I guess people must get really confused when we brits use the slang > "half one" meaning half past one :=AC). For the entire first year we were together, my (Swedish) husband thought=20 I was incorrigibly, and inexplicably, an hour late for things. It took=20 that long for his scandinavian politeness to break down enough to=20 actually mention it, I'd thought I was on time all along. It seems it's often the very smallest of things that cause the greatest=20 difficulty in the translation :) --=20 Lauri Watts