List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Meaningless kdelibs messages?
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2002-02-22 22:33:00

On Friday 22 February 2002 23:00, Gaute Hvoslef Kvalnes wrote:
> I encountered these two messages in kdelibs.po, and I don't understand what
> they mean. Perhaps they should be saying something like 'The request
> expected to get a file in return'? (The request doesn't return anything, it
> receives a return value. Or do I miss the point completely?)
>
> #: kio/kio/global.cpp:632
> msgid ""
> "The request expected to return a file, however the directory "
> "<strong>%1</strong> was returned instead."
>
> #: kio/kio/global.cpp:640
> msgid ""
> "The request expected to return a directory, however the file "
> "<strong>%1</strong> was returned instead."

Well, I'm not sure what it should say, but here's what it's about:
imagine you want to list a directory. You ask something else
(here a "kioslave") to list directory /blah for you, issuing a request
to it. If the ioslave detects that /blah is in fact a file, it will return
the second error case above.
So maybe it should say.... "the request expected a directory
but found a file instead" or something like that. Actually you're right,
it doesn't return anything at all, just an error message.

Anyway, I'm surprised to see those strings there, they're not used yet.
Rodda: if all those strings are unused in KDE 3.0, why have they been
left in ? In order not to lose the few existing translations ? This sounds like
quite a lot of wasted time to me (for translators), to translate strings that
can't ever be displayed yet, and that will probably change once you
work on them again after 3.0.....

http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~david, http://www.konqueror.org
KDE 3.0: Konquering the Desktops