List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    i18n.kde.org CVS - exec permissions on www files
From:       Claudiu Costin <claudiuc () work ! ro>
Date:       2001-12-12 19:06:16

      Hello friends,

  Some files which get on web
by www CVS module have exec permission.
To minimize security risks please _remove_
exec permission from commited files.

  Note that this operation is very boring because
of CVS issues regarding storing anything than file
contents.

  How to proceed?
  CVS users on i18n.kde.org must ensure that
every file which have on "www" CVS copy must have
exec bits cleared and also. Only permissions like
644 is accepted.

  Coordinators for teams which have sites on i18n.kde.org
must instruct their team to remove exec permissions
on their files. After this, I manualy change permission
on CVS server files.

   This operation require good coordination between us.
Note:
1) Files which have changed and exec permission was removed
while loose exec bits after commits. As this not possible
with gifs, jpegs & co which not change often, we must ensure
manual fixing.
2) please don't set exec bits on *.pl files. These are only
downloaded as ordinary files and exec'ing them is inutile
(of course, a craker may find this good if apache malfunctioo
or missconfiguration occur :)

P.S. I hope I was clear (my english is weak)

kind regards,
--
Claudiu Costin
<claudiuc@work.ro>