List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: KDE 3 language codes
From:       Gaute Hvoslef Kvalnes <ai98ghk () stud ! hib ! no>
Date:       2001-12-04 14:16:57

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric Bischoff
To: Frederik Fouvry; kde-i18n-doc@kde.org
Sent: 04.12.01 11:26

(restarting in public this private discussion)

Le Lundi 3 Décembre 2001 19:25, Frederik Fouvry a écrit :

> > Summarising:
> > - for all (really!) internal things: ISO-639-2
> > - locales: follow standard and/or Qt
> > - language identification: RFC (afaik this is used in the
> >   documentation (HTML and XML), in web browser and server setup,
> >   possibly in e-mail setup.  Such programs conform to the RFC, in
> >   my experience.)
>
> That's exactly what I proposed (but better summarized). Gaute,
> reactions?

But what's internal and not? Package names like 'kde-i18n-de'? (Which
a user may have to download and install based on name only.) KDE's
configuration files? (Which any distribution would want to initiate
with sensible defaults.)

I don't quite see why we need to distinguish between internal and
external codes at all. If something is bound to create confusion, it's
mixing different standards within the same project. If the only reason
for using ISO 639-2 codes everywhere is that it's 'prettier', then I
think it's pointless.

Regards,
 Gaute Hvoslef Kvalnes