List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: About naming of apps in .desktop files
From:       "Thomas Diehl" <thd () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-11-25 17:21:16

On Sun, 25 Nov 2001 18:05:15 +0100, Christoph Cullmann wrote:

>Am Sunday 25 November 2001 17:43 schrieb Thomas Diehl:
>> On Sun, 25 Nov 2001 16:17:55 +0100, Christoph Cullmann wrote:
>> >I would propose the this solution:
>> >The "Comment" field contains the description like Media Player
>> >The "Name" field shouldn't be translated and is added in front of the
>> > (Comment field)
>> > -> you will get stuff like Noatun  (Media Player)
>>
>> Problem is that there are always some app names that people prefer to
>> have translated. Not only "Helpcenter", "Kicker", or "Control Center"
>> but also eg a lot of games.
>No, don't translate them !
>You have with this solution names like Kicker (Panel), KControl (Control
>Center)
>The name needn't be translated, it is unique, the function of the app (the
>comment) needs to be translated. The translation of names is a mess. Why
>should KWrite be named "Erweiterter Texteditor" in german if its name is
>KWrite ? Why should Noatun be translated to "Media Player" if it's name is
>Noatun ?

You are mixing things up. With the proposed solution names like
"KWrite" or "Noatun" will not be translated in most languages, of
course. (These are only there at the moment due to the crude mixture of
program names and descriptions. And that's what we want to get rid of,
no question about that.) Exceptions are imaginable for some languages
with non-latin alphabets. I guess most of them prefer sticking to the
Latin characters for app names but they should have a chance to
transcribe the names in their alphabets. CCing to kde-i18n-doc,
therefore.

>We only need a translated comment, for newbies, to say them: ah,
>Noatun is the Media Player. You wouldn't translate your personal Name Thomas
>to Harry or ? ;)) (And ms wouldn't translate Word to "Wort" or Access to
>"Zugriff" ;)

I'm not talking about stuff like this. But "KControl" or "KHelpcenter"
are really no entries I want to see in a German K-Menu. These are
totally descriptive names for system functions (oe abbreviations of
such names) which should be understandable on first sight in every
language. They also show up translated when the apps are started.
Similar case with Kicker and a few others. And the name of
"KBattleship" in German is "Schiffe versenken", nothing else. Same with
"Offiziersskat" and others. (Believe me: I even got bug reports before
I named them this way.)

Regards,

Thomas

---