List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: kde-i18n-* packages on SuSE 7.3
From:       Adrian Schroeter <adrian () suse ! de>
Date:       2001-10-30 12:42:41

On Tue, 30 Oct 2001, Thomas Diehl wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Oct 2001 12:57:47 +0100 (CET), Adrian Schroeter wrote:
> >The only solution, which I have for this release now is that I prepare a
> >download patch for YOU (YaST online update for maintainance updates). So
> >the user can (it is not enabled by default) select the translations
> >easily in the YaST controllcenter for download.
> >
> >Since 40 entries would be a bit too much inside the YaST online update, I
> >plan to create only two bigger patches. A western europe patch and a
> >"more translations" patch.
>
> This might be better than nothing. But I'm not sure yet how much
> better. How big are those patch files going to be? Not everybody
> has a DSL connection or a cable modem. Why can't you just point
> to the existing RPM files at
> ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/supplementary/KDE/update_for_7.3/internationalization/?

Well, these pages can be found anyway on our WEB Pages:

http://www.suse.de/en/support/download/linuks/index.html

This page can be reached with two mouse clicks (starting from our
homepage) and the packages are also on the ftp server for some weeks.
But the problem is, how we should communicate that to the people. A lot of
our customers are using the YOU, so that is an easy way to reach them.

> Anyway, in the long run (ie for future releases) there must be solution
> which enables users to pick just the languages they need, either from
> CD or YOU or both. There is no point in forcing people to download 30
> languages when they just need one or two. (Also I'm not sure how happy
> many people will be in the differentiation of "Western Europe" versus
> the "Rest of the World".)

Yes, it is a bit arbitrary, but I do not want to confuse the YOU users
with a very long list.

An other possible solution would be to write only an SDB artikel. Our
support database is also often used, so an article there could point to
the download place. Okay, I write now this article. Do you think this is a
better way and we should not offer these bigger (20MB) patch files via YOU ?
(They would be no selected by default, so clicking only on the
 "Next"-button would not download them).

bye
adrian