List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Fwd: Re: kde-i18n-* packages on SuSE 7.3
From:       Adrian Schroeter <adrian () suse ! de>
Date:       2001-10-29 18:59:12

On Mon, 29 Oct 2001, Thomas Diehl wrote:
> ==================BEGIN FORWARDED MESSAGE==================
> >From: Pedro Morais <pmmm@rnl.ist.utl.pt>
> Em Segunda, 29 de Outubro de 2001 16:04, Thomas Diehl escreveu:
> >
> > This is quite a strange mixture even if we would accept the "needed
> > language" thing in a sense of "for the German market only". Where is
> > French? Where is Turkish? (Remember: Berlin is the second biggest city
>
> Where is Portuguese? As there are only 10 million possible pt_PT
> users living in Portugal, and there's not a single Portuguese distribution,
> I guess no one should ever care to include our translations.

The INT-1 (which contains portugese) is also chipped in Portugal, so these
10 million will get their native language.

> It's strange, but a Portuguese Linux user living in Germany would be
> better off with the American Redhat distribution, that in 2 CDs finds space
> for kde pt_PT translations, some pt_PT GNU utils translations and the
> aspell pt_PT dict.

We have much more translations, like HOWTOs and our handbooks on the CDs,
so we need more space. A portugese user in germany can also order the
international version which contains that translations.

> > The SuSE approach is totally disappointing and demotivating for KDE
> > translators.
>
> Yep.

We offer the translation as packages on our ftp server, they are getting
updated from time to time, which compensate this a bit, I hope.

bye
adrian