List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    IMPORTANT: Documentation Changes
From:       Lauri Watts <lauri () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-10-18 13:43:30

Hi all,

I have two major cleanups about to happen, so expect massive amounts of
changes in the next few days to the documentation messages.  The intent is to
save a whole lot of work in the long term, as you'll see.

1: There are new boiler plate entries for some of the commonly repeated text.
 At this point, this is the Help menu (which is the same for all the
documents), and some  of the passages in the installation appendix.  The net
effect of this is that you will only need to translate these passages once,
and they will only need to be stored in CVS once per language.  On the down
side, each team will need to go and translate them by hand.

You can find the new entities in
kdelibs/kdoctools/customization/<LANG>/entities/

The filenames are:
help-menu.docbook
install-compile.docbook
install-intro.docbook

They can be translated in your usual text editor - make sure the files are
saved in UTF-8 encoding as usual.   It is very important that all the teams
translate these items, or you will find long passages of English text
appearing in your nicely translated documents.  This shouldn't affect
translations markedly, other than next time you look at a manual, you'll have
a few less messages to translate.

2:  I'm going to remove all the <accel> elements in the menu entries.  Unless
we ever come up with a way to automatically generate these from the GUI, they
are too much work for both the writers and the translators to manage, so
they're going.

This one is going to give you all a lot of fuzzy messages initially, but if
you have <accel> markup already in your translations and don't want to go
through all the documents at once, this is not a problem, you can leave until
next time you are looking at the docs anyway.  The <accel> markup is
completely valid and correct and will remain so, even though we're no longer
going to be using it.

There are likely to be some minor other cleanups as I go through docs (I'm
going to correct date formats, and probably try to replace all the entities
that are now deprecated with whatever they ought to be now.)

--
Lauri Watts
KDE Documentation Coordinator