List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Unicode issues related to Farsi
From:       Arash Zeini <azeini () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-10-06 11:39:25

Hi,

In order to get going with the Farsi translation of
KDE we needed to make a keyboard layout for Farsi.
What we did can be seen at:

http://www.farsikde.com/keyboard.html

Yet we are facing some problems with the Farsi
specific characters, that are described in Hexformat
as you can find out from the layout file (see above
link):

key <AC03> {     [d, D], [  0x10006cc, Arabic_yeh
  ]       };

The charcters described in the hex format (here the
farsi Yeh), are not supported and the cursor simply
doesn't move while trying to type these. The same
problem applies to the numbers if described in the hex
format. I was told that this format is not supported
in X11, and was wondering if anyone can help overcome
this problem.

Furthermore the Arabic Reh, doesn't work too.!?

key <AB04> {     [v, V], [  Arabic_reh           ]
  };

Any pointers and help are highly appreciated. It is
essential to solve this problem at the moment at least
for the Farsi and Kudish RTL teams. I don't know how
the problem of digits is solved for Arabic.

Greetings,
Arash

--

KDE Farsi Translation