List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: [kde-i18n-doc] Re: How to translate this?
From:       Pablo de Vicente <pvicentea () nexo ! es>
Date:       2001-09-24 15:58:02

El Lun 24 Sep 2001 08:56, Thomas Diehl escribió:

> Feedback from developers on terminological and stylistic problems is
> usually scarce (to say the least) and hardly ever leads to an
> agreement. And what we are doing in the German team would mean a really
> big change in favor of stylistic guidelines which may not even be
> shared by the majority of the native speakers. After all, we don't only
> change the "Will Robinson" strings but also the "Can't find xy" and all
> other "first person" strings. We also remove about 99% of the
> exclamation marks and try to achieve a sober, impersonal,
> matter-of-fact style which is certainly not very "charming" (always
> except the games, of course) but more or less "businesslike".

 In spanish we have exactly same problem. However we do not have a unified
way of translating these strings yet. I usually do not translate neither
"please", nor "first person" strings, or any "funny" or "charming" strings,
however I usually keep exclamation marks. It would read awkwards in spanish
if we translated literally all those program messages.

Pablo de Vicente
KDE Spanish translation team