List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: How to translate this?
From:       Stefan =?iso-8859-1?q?Asserh=E4ll?= <stefan.asserhall () telia ! com>
Date:       2001-09-22 17:44:28

On Saturday 22 September 2001 18:51, Wang Jian wrote:
> There are many occurence of these msgid
>
> msgid "Danger, Will Robinson!"
>
> What it means?

This comes from an old U.S. science fiction television show called
"Lost in Space", about the Robinson family. The family robot would yell
"Danger, Will Robinson, danger!" while waving its arms, when sensing
some evil that everyone else was missing.

I think it is impossible to translate this well, without the cultural
context. I suggest using some generic colloquial saying indicating
danger instead (This is what was done for the Swedish translation).

Perhaps developers might consider the difficulty of translating such
sentences, and refrain from using them?

/ Stefan Asserhäll