List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Measure systems
From:       Federico Cozzi <cozzi () cibslogin ! sns ! it>
Date:       2001-09-10 16:27:14

On Mon, 10 Sep 2001, Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote:

> > I'm about to add support for different measure systems to KLocale, and I
> > need to know if we need support for other systems than:
> > * Metric ( mm )
> > * Imperial ( inches )
> Some other relevant monitor-size length units include:
>  * points ( 1 pt = 25.4/72.27 mm )

Points are tipically used for DTP; if you are interested in DTP, you
should add also "pica" (I don't know the conversion factor).

> If you need larger lengths than the size of a typical
> monitor, feet, meter, yards, etc. should be considered.
> PS: The primary length scale in the metric system is meter,
>     not mm.

I don't know how he is planning to implement these measure systems, but I
hope he will implement full "measure system" i.e. "metric system" is not
"mm", but a table of conversion between all the units (m, dm,
cm, mm, etc...).

--
Federico Cozzi                              federico.cozzi@sns.it
                                            PGP key: 0xC3B01DEA