List:       kde-i18n-de
Subject:    [Fwd: Options (was: Re: Rosetta for Kubuntu Dapper and KDE)]
From:       Thomas Diehl <thd () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-06-03 11:39:45

-------- Original Message --------
Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2006 18:12:52 +0700
From: Javier SOLA <lists@khmeros.info>
To: kde-i18n-doc@kde.org

Kevin Donnelly wrote:

> On Monday 29 May 2006 12:37, Clytie Siddall wrote:
>

>> Debian is currently setting this up with Pootle [1] (from
>> the Wordforge [2] project). We've looked into this situation
>> very carefully. It will be interesting to see how it turns
>> out, with all the plans to integrate the Wordforge tools
>> into the Debian infrastructure.
>>

> This is an interesting development.  If they can get the
> liaison with KDE-svn sorted out, then this would appear to be
> a large step in the right direction.

Hi

Part of our goals in WordForge is to ensure this liaisson with
KDE. We are already working on the generic SVN interface. We
would have to look at things that are specific to KDE.

Are KDE PO files different or more specific than standard PO files?

Internally Pootle will work with XLIFF files (new XML
localisation standard file format), but it will interact with PO
files in the project svn, and it will allow the translator to
download either XLIFF files or PO files (which will be created
under demand). We would need to make sure that all this is
transparent to KDE.

Pootle will manage rights and localisation process. It will be
possible to give to team leaders, reviewers and translators
diferent rights, depending on how the localisation team organises
itself, and then the teams will be able to follow different
localisation workflows, from simple translation->commit to very
comlicated process that require several reviews. XLIFF files
allow including information about the state of the process in the
files, and Pootle will manage this information to facilitate the
workflow, ensuring that the defined steps are taken before a file
is committed.

As SVN is concerned, Pootle will always merge the information it
has to the file in SVN, it will never replace it, as the file in
SVN might have been updated since the file that is being sent
back from Pootle was taken from this same SVN. The merged file
will be committed and fed back into Pootle (with new messages if
there are any).

Process will take place when files are uploaded to Pootle by
translators, the translation is merged into the file that is
currently in Pootle.

Our roadmap is in www.wordforge.org. As you will see, we have
taken the KDE website as our example on how to present the state
of translation of each file.

Have a nice day !

Javier