List:       kde-i18n
Subject:    idea
From:       Simon Hausmann <tronical () gmx ! net>
Date:       1999-04-06 20:08:31

Hello,

I have an idea in regard to the KService stuff in libkio.
But let my describe the problem first:

The current service/registry stuff increases the memory usage of programs
using it and slows down startup time.

So what do you think of this:
Let's say we have a program, called RegistryServer.
This program has a nice CORBA interface, granting "access" to the
registry/service stuff it loads on startup.
In addition this app writes it's IOR into a file with a fixed location
(somewhere in $KDEDIR/share/whereeveryouwantit) .
Ah, I forgot: This app should be started automatically on KDE startup.

...the rest (goal/usage) should be quite self explaining, or? :-))

Advantages IMO:

a) decreases startup time and memory usage of apps

b) updates are now very easy in regard to the fact that they're really
   "global"

...just an idea...

Greetings,
 Simon