List:       kde-i18n
Subject:    Re: protocol stuff (was: Re: KFM Error)
From:       Simon Hausmann <tronical () gmx ! net>
Date:       1999-04-01 11:43:01

On Wed, 31 Mar 1999, Alex Zepeda wrote:

> On Wed, 31 Mar 1999, Simon Hausmann wrote:
>
> > 2) Or (if I understand you correctly) we can create a special kioslave,
> > being called whenever the protocol lookup for a slave fails (someting like
> > "DefaultProtocolSlave" ) . This slave might then look for the appropriate
> > bindings.
>
> Yes!  That's exactly what I mean.  And this would have the added benefit
> of perhaps handling truely unknown protocols in a rather elegant way.
>
> > Since I'm not really sure about 2) (...and I'm not sure whether I really
> > understand the idea ;) ) I think 1) is the better way to go. This would
> > also make sure that the additional protocol services, not being handled by
> > the protocol manager, are not available for kiojob, but only explicitly or
> > by krun.
> > Hm,... I start really getting confused about this ;-) .
> > Do we really want to "override" the protocol manager for protocols not
> > being handled by an ioslave?
>
> Well I think that number two is a bit simpler if I do say so myself.

Ok, I think I got your idea now :-)
But I also think that this is a quite difficult thing to do.
For example how should we handle this:
Just think of an application which is bound to a "mime-protocol" and which
is capable to embed itself in Konqueror as view plugin. Using the
mime-type solution number one, Konqy can check itself whether the app
supports embedding (by scanning the .kdelnk) and the can handle the
appropriate IMR stuff to launch it. But in case of a protocol-slave, how
should Konqueror get to know that app xyz supports embedding and get
access to the app's .kdelnk (...and therefore stop the slave from
launching the app itself) ?

Ideas?

Perhaps Torben's soon-to-come trader can help here?

> - alex

Ciao,
 Simon