List:       kde-i18n
Subject:    How to choose between builtin and external application : proposal
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-04-01 9:51:03

How to configure between builtin and external viewers ?
I discussed this with a friend, and here is what we come up with :

* global defaults, set in kcmkfm, for each mimetype group (i.e. folder in share/mimelnk/)

text : use builtin viewer (yes/no)  [checkbox]
image : use builtin viewer (yes/no)  [checkbox]

(and perhaps audio/video in the future?) :-D

* then, for all text and images mimetypes, in the properties dialog for them
we would add the choice between    [e.g. 3 radiobuttons]
- use default
- use builtin viewer
- use external application

(BTW, properties dialogs taken from kfm now work in konqy, and I just moved
them to libkio)

This way, one can set choose between builtin and external for all text /
images files, and set individual values too (e.g. an icon-team artist would
set up external for xpm, to edit them, and builtin for jpeg, gif, ... to
simply view them).  I would personnally set normal-text and english-text to
builtin (to view READMEs) but c++, h, java, ... to my editor.

And one that doesn't like embedded viewers (like Martin ;)) can set
defaults to 'no' without having to change all mimetypes (text, c, c++, ...)
but still use libkhtml for HTML pages, by setting 'use builtin' in the
mimetype text/html - this is the way to keep the exact (though
inconsistent) behaviour of 1.1-kfm.

I suggest that factory defaults (i.e. configuration for first-time users)
would be set to 'yes' for the two global defaults (-> use builtin)
and would be 'use default' for mimetypes.
This for speed reasons (embedded viewers are really fast) and also to show
the new features ;)

Opinions ?

--
David FAURE