List:       kde-i18n
Subject:    Re: text viewing
From:       Simon Hausmann <tronical () gmx ! net>
Date:       1999-03-31 21:02:57

On Wed, 31 Mar 1999, Michael Reiher wrote:

> Simon Hausmann wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm wondering about how we should handle text files with konqy:
> > Two ideas come to my mind:
> >
> > 1) We might use a builtin viewer, making use of libkdeui's keditcl
> >
> > 2) We might go the component way and extend kedit/kwrite to provide an
> >    implementation of the Konqueror::View interface.
> >
> > What do you think? Any other ideas?
>
> I´m definetly for 2. As a kwrite/kedit component can be useful for many
> other programs as well, eg KodeKnight, kdevelop, webmaker or the like.
> Also it´s more flexible.

I somehow agree: An editor component would be very useful, that's sure!

But in case of Konqueror I think it's sufficient to have a builtin viewer
(and just like every feature: turn it of if you don't want it) with the
following advantages:
 a) fast
 b) small, simple
 c) not bloated (QMultiLineEdit is your friend :)
   (for example I don't think we really need syntax highlighting for fast
    text viewing in konqy. Well, of course it would be nice, but is it
    really important? opinions are welcome :)

And, just to remark: Although I already implemented a simple builtin text
viewer this doesn't mean I want to stop this discussion: I wouldn't mind
anyone if we remove it again and go the general plugin way, it's just
meant as demonstration :)

> Just my 0.02 Euro

plus my 0.02 Euro...makes 0.04 . Let's see if we can take over Bill G. ;)

> Michael
> >
> > Greetings,
> >  Simon
> >
> > P.S.: good news: I contacted the author of kdvi: He seems to be very
> >       interested in making it KonqReady(tm) :-))
> Cool!
>
> BTW: What about a "Designed for Konqueror" or "Konqueror Inside"
> logo?:))

Nice! :-P
Who's going to print the t-shirts? ;-)

Greetings,