List:       kde-i18n
Subject:    Re: KFM Error
From:       Matt Koss <koss () napri ! sk>
Date:       1999-03-29 13:26:28

On Ne, 28 mar 1999, Simon Hausmann wrote:
>On Sun, 28 Mar 1999, David Faure wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Mar 28, 1999 at 06:50:28PM +0200, Rob Kaper wrote:
>> > "The requested action
>> > get telnet://capsi.cx:2300/
>> > is not implemented yet."
>> >
>> > Looks to me this is a rather simple one to hack into kfm.. launch a kvt (or
>> > whatever Terminal program has been specified with -e telnet, voila.
>>
>> This is right. kfm is not developed anymore, but this a nice feature for
>> the successor of kfm, called 'konqueror' (or konqy).
>>
>> Simon, while making the plugin mechanism, can you think of a way to
>> specify, in a plugin kdelnk : for the protocol "telnet:", something like ;
>> launch konsole -e telnet %host  ?
>>

>> This will allow the same kind of protocol support for other protocols as
>> well, without hacking the code.
>> I can think of "rlogin:", and even of somebody wanting to use, say, ncftp
>> for "ftp:" transfers, and netscape for "http:" transfers.
>> (For this we need to make plugins chosen before hardcoded protocols
>> (kio_http for http:, ...)
>> Users love be customize everything, and a lot of them want to use kfm/konqy
>> as file manager only and netscape as web browser... which can be
>> understood, especially if there is java in the pages ;)
>
>100% agree.
>
>a) completely override libkio for configured protocols
>   Before executing KRun we check to protocol and call the appropriate
>   application.
>   I think the problem here is the configuration: How do we find out
>   which application supports protocol xyz?
>   How do applications "tell" Konqy that they support a certain protocol?
>   (for MimeTypes this was kind of easy: KRun did the job of finding an
>    application. Then we just checked the .kdelnk file. But how to do
>    without KRun? How to find the .kdelnk? )
>
>b) integration in libkio
>   Perhaps someone has a nice idea of a possible integration in the
>   ProtocolManager (without breaking KIOJob ;) ) ?

While I understand the need for plugins and user customization of konqueror,
I don't think that it is ok to use e.g. Netscape for all http:/ related stuff.
IMO this should depend also on the MIME type or the file extension.
The protocol is simply not enough to discern between different types of files.

E.g user could want to use Netscape for displaying some
http://aaa.bbb.cc/XXXXX.html file, but he might want to use kget for doing the
transfer of some http://aaa.bb.cc/XXXXX.tgz file.

That's why I think that this plugin stuff needs to be rethinked very carefully.

Regards

		Matt

--
Matej Koss	e-mail: koss@napri.sk