List:       kde-i18n
Subject:    Re: Fwd: kfm not resolving URI correctly
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-03-22 0:05:55

On Sun, Mar 21, 1999 at 03:58:14PM -0800, Alex Zepeda wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Mar 1999, David Faure wrote:
>
> > > However, I want you to know that the issue is still valid if the user chooses
> > > the URL stated above in the location box.
> > Well, theorically yes. But who will enter '//www.kde.org' instead of
> > 'www.kde.org' ? It's longer, and nobody knows about that strange way of
> > writing an URL. One must be a RFC addicted to know that.
>
> Yes, and who thought that anyone would enter say a 5000 character
> username, certianly not the SLMail authors.

This is a different issue.
I'm not talking about making assumptions [that can eventually lead to a
bug], here. I'm talking about supporting or not supporting a user-supplied URL.

> > So I'm ok for handling such links, but not such users' entry.
> >
> > What's more, at some point, we might want to handle //server as a samba
> > server - which is not in the URL RFC, so .... ;)
>
> Well then another way should be thought of to handle them.  'Sides BNC (I
> think that's what they're caled) use two backslashes so it's \\host\share
> not //host/share.  Even smbclient and sharity lite do it with backslashes.
I got some version of smbmount that supported //host/share, but with
Linux-2.2, it's now back to '\\host\share'.
Ok, anyway I agree with you : let's keep backslashes for samba, because this way
there is no collusion with URLs.

--
David FAURE
david.faure@insa-lyon.fr, faure@kde.org