List:       kde-i18n
Subject:    Re: Important information : konqueror and kdesktop, libkio (fwd)
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-03-17 8:15:08

On Wed, Mar 17, 1999 at 01:52:16AM +0100, Martin Konold wrote:

> From: Michael Reiher <michael.reiher@gmx.de>
>
> David Faure wrote:
> >
> > I want to inform you about Torben's plans about kdesktop, if you don't know
> > about it, and other things :
> >
> > The current desktop icons won't be handled by konqueror, but by another
> > program called kdesktop, not yet ready to be even put in CVS.
> > So whatever we implement in konqueror, we must ask ourselves : will
> > kdesktop need it ? If yes, then let's put in libkio.
> >
> > For instance, the popup menus shouldn't be put in konqy, but in libkio.
> > The kiconcontainer will be moved too (note that it's a full-featured
> > widget, which has already nothing to do with the rest of konqueror).
> Why do you want to put it in libkio? Isnīt that meant to provide
> independent I/O operations for other programs? That konqueror stuff has
> probably nothing to do with I/O and is probably not useful for most
> applications that use libkio. Why not put that stuff in a libkonq, or
> something like that? That would IMHO be better, and would keep libkio
> clean.

This is a good point. I thought about that too.
Torben's vision of libkio is "a construction kit for a filemanager", so this
includes more than I/O operations, despite the name of the lib.

Look at what we already have got in libkio :
* mimetypes
* services (=applnks)
* registry and userprofile, to handle those

This is a starting point for filemanagement, and has nothing to do with I/O.

If we add popup menus (if that's possible), and icon container, (and
anything else that will come to mind as being shared by konq), libkio will
be effectively the file manager construction kit. Some apps besides
konqueror and kdesktop might want to display icons with popup menus
(e.g. kmail showing mail folders, ...)

--
David FAURE
david.faure@insa-lyon.fr, faure@kde.org