List:       kde-i18n
Subject:    Re: draft+thoughts
From:       David Faure <David.Faure () insa-lyon ! fr>
Date:       1999-02-25 11:15:43

On Tue, Feb 23, 1999 at 07:54:40PM +0100, Simon Hausmann wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Feb 1999, David Faure wrote:
> >I don't understand the difference you make between GUI and MainWindow.
> >As I understand it, in a konqueror process (application), there can be
> >several windows. Calling it MainWindow is just a sight of the mind. BTW,
> >koffice calls MainWindow every window, even if you have several windows in
> >e.g. kword. So a GUI (in kfm) is a MainWindow (in konqueror). I would
> >remove any instance of the word and the concept of GUI. In KDE, everything
> >is a GUI :)
>
> I'm sorry, but you're wrong:
> If you embedd KPresenter in KSpread for example you actually do _not_
> use/embedd/whatever anything MainWindow related from KPresenter but instead you
> embedd a KPresenter View of a KPresenter Document. KPresenter's Mainwindow is
> not used in any way (only if you start KPresenter standalone, then KPresenter's
> MainWindow becomes the shell).
Yes, I know that.

> The Mainwindow's task as a shell is to
>  a) manage the *bars (better: host the *bar-managers)
>  b) know about the active part
>  c) know about the parts captions
>  d) handle some stuff in regard to activation/deactivation of parts
>  e) provide _some_ standard GUI elements for this application (as standalone
>      app)
>  f) share some of these with the current active part (file/help menu)
>
> And from the technical point this also leads to the fact that you can not embedd
> an OpenParts MainWindow (or a derived KOffice MainWindow if you want) , because
> the MainWindow interface simply does _not_ inherit from OpenParts::Part.
Sure.

> As I mentioned above: This way we'd loose our MainView as embeddable all-in-one
> Konqueror part and replace it with an not-embeddable OpenParts MainWindow of
> Konqueror (from the users point of view there's actually not difference, but
> IMHO we still might want this all-in-one thing, right?)
Yes, but then it's the GUI we want to embed, right ?
How do we do it if it inherits from Kom::Base only (it's not a part, is it
?)

> >* views inside another MainWindow, inside another application.
> No. (see above)
I meant, for instance, a KPresenter View inside the MainWindow of kspread.
(kspread being the 'application' as well).
But you're right, we need another 'layer' if we want to embed a whole
konqueror GUI (= several views).

Something else : you didn't make a common parent for IconView and TreeView
(both relate to file management and have a lot in common)
Is it possible to have a common parent in C++ and not in the IDL interface
?

If not, the IDL needs to be modified I think.

|  David FAURE                                                       |
|  E-mail : David.Faure@insa-lyon.fr, faure@kde.org                  |
|  http://www.insa-lyon.fr/People/AEDI/dfaure/index.html             |