List:       kde-i18n
Subject:    Re: konqview's gui as "standalone" part
From:       Simon Hausmann <tronical () gmx ! net>
Date:       1999-02-23 19:34:36

On Mon, 22 Feb 1999, Dawit Alemayehu wrote:

>>> Yes And No.  What if the parent application where konqview is embedded wants
>>> to provide all the GUI interfaces itself ?
>>
>>Then it should run as an stand alone application and not embedded in
>>konqueror.
>
>Well what I was trying to get at here is that most applications that
>want to embed konqueror do so in order to allow a user to browse whatever
>resource ( local directory, ftp, web ...).  In that case I, as the application
>developer, might not need the GUI interfaces of konqueror at all.  IMHO, all I
>would need is one of its views and an interface to control this view.

Well, this is no problem with David's proposal number one and my IDL draft:
The view will always (no matter what proposal) have an open interface you can
access to control the view.
Then you've got two choices:
(1) You can either create an implementation of the Konqueror GUI interface
(beside Konqueror's own implementation) and use this one as GUI interface for
the view. (but I don't think that there will be any application doing this
although it's technically possible :-)

(2) Or you can re-parent the view and make it a part-child of your part. Then
the parent part's GUI will stay visible/active if the parent-part is active and
you'll simply get notified if the child-part gets the focus.
(and you can still control the view via it's interface)

Does this fulfill your "request" ? :-)

>Dawit A.

Greetings,
 Simon

--
Simon Hausmann - Tronical^Colorfast - <tronical@gmx.net> - IRCNet #colorfast

we have joy, we have fun, we have linux on our sun