List:       kde-i18n
Subject:    Re: konqueror components
From:       rupert THURNER <rthurner () edu ! uni-klu ! ac ! at>
Date:       1999-02-19 10:08:05

> Creating does not really belong in a browser (apart from directories)
> because
> you will almost always need an application for this anyway. I seldom go
> a directory to select "create xyz".
i do this all the time ... otherwise i would have to say "save" or "save
as" and fiddle out (accepting the standard file save dialog, starting at
the wrong place, without being able to search for, with a view i dont
like, ...) the directory where i want to put the document. the only
thing which i'm always missing is that i dont get the applications
native new dialog where i can choose a template ... so i would have both
with one click, (1) name and location, and (2) template/structure and,
additionally, (3) using an already open existing application which opens
a new window on the current kwm-desktop.

the reason is simple: i don't write things which i don't want to store
somewhere, and i don't write things of which i don't know what the
result and content should be (which indeed would be a reason to look
what comes out and then store it where it fits). and for me its just
normal to have one or two file-manager windows open, and thats for today
my preferred location to store files. the important thing is, the
location changes regularly, and, it may change also from kwm-desktop to
kwm-desktop.

> Most of the time you start an
> application
> to create "xyz" and when you are done, you think of a nice place to
> store it.
the reason for this is that (2) and (3) above are not (well) supported,
and i thought KOM/OP is one of the possibilities to change that. and
please dont forget to save regularly so a power failure would not cause
loss of data, so you have to have to save anyway in a few minutes, even
if linux is rock-stable ;))

so i think both approaches are equally possible (like the one uses one
open emacs to do everything, and the other uses one or more open
command-windows and says "vi file").

rupert (wondering also if waldo was ever wrong in his life ....).