List:       kde-i18n
Subject:    Re: PartChild(Mode)
From:       Simon Hausmann <tronical () gmx ! net>
Date:       1999-02-18 20:17:47

On Thu, 18 Feb 1999, Sven Radej wrote:
>On Thu, 18 Feb 1999, Simon Hausmann wrote:
>(...)
>>Well, the mail view example would _NOT_ flicker because the mail view has to
>>inherit from KonqView in order to be a fully qualified Konqueror View. And
>>since every KonqView would be a part child of KonqMainView (if it's embedded in
>>there) and every KonqView has an assigned "shared" KonqGui there I can't see any
>>problem :-)
>
>Excuse me if I say somethin stupid now; My knowledge of konquerror/parts is
>_very_ limeted (for now)
>
>Unless I got something wrong, you want konquerror to be able to show various
>documents by "embedding" the original viewer.
>
>In this (mail) example konquerror should embed/swallow another application;
>kmail (or koutlook, or...) but that mail application should be able to live
>without konquerror (i.e. have own main window, *Bars and stuff).
>
>Konquerror should just steal kmail's toolbars and main view. The same I belive
>goes for viewing pictures or any document with specialized viewer/application.
>
>Is that right?

Uhm, yes and no ;-)

(I'm now assuming that all applications we're talking about are full-featured
OpenParts applications, representing in somehow the document-view model/design
and/or they just play around with parts in general :)

(I also assume we're running Konqueror using proposal one and the Konqueror
you're now talking about is in fact a so-called KonqMainView -> (only in this
paragraph of the mail!!) s/Konqueror/KonqMainView/ applys)

KonqMainView can display various kinds of views (using KMultiPanner ;) ) ,
which are _all_ derived from an interface called KonqView.

Now there can be two kinds of "embedding" in KonqMainView in regard to
other applications:

1) If an application supports Konqueror directly it would "export" (read:
provide through a factory interface (we can easily define)) objects which
inherit from the KonqView interface. Now we "add" this object (=view) to our
KonqMainView and assign it the KonqGui of KonqMainView. This will bring us to
the point that this view
a) can specify entries in the view menu via the provided KonqGui
(and perhaps we might allow it to specify entries in the toolbar, too?)
b) will behave like a part-child (ask me if you need further details about
this)
c) can display it's "real" contents just as usual

2) If an application does not support Konqueror directly but instead supports
the "standard" OpenParts::Application createPart method to create "plain" parts
or even the createDoc method to create documents (which themselves can create
views of their document which are derived from OpenParts::Part) then this
resulting part get's "inserted" in a KonqPartView (which is obviously derived
from KonqView) which itself now gets inserted into our KonqMainView. This will
bring us to the point that this view can activate it's assigned part which will
result (beside the actual focus switch in regard to the keyboard/mouse) in a
rebuild of the menu-/toolbar(s) (because the mainwindow got notified about this
active-part change and will usually arrange this rebuild) . That's then what
you called "steal kmail's toolbars and main view" :-)

>Otherwise, creating another mailer/image viewer/... that can live only in
>konquerror wouldn't make much sense; even if konquerror is able to be a global
>graphics shell for every kde application.

No. Assuming that our example-application is an OpenParts application it will
still be an usual standalone app. But beside this it can additionally (if the
application wants to) provide a nice Konqueror-compatible (read: KonqView :)
view of it's document or just provide a part/document/view factory.

>If we want to create such a shell than it should go into libs, and not be
>called konquerror.

IMHO Konqueror is quite more -> Did you read Waldo's great paper in
kdebase/konqueror ?
I'm sure it will convince you because it occurs that whatever Waldo says it's
simply right :-)

>Or did I miss the point completely?
>
>As for *Bars: I might do some support for that in kdeui (KTM, K*Bar...)

Although I can't currently find anything "missing" in kdeui/*bar in regard to
the Konqueror-problems I heard of you as s/SuperMan/Sven-kdeui*-Man/
=> what changes in kdeui do you think of?

>--
>Sven Radej     radej@kde.org
>KDE developer   Visit http://www.kde.org

Ciao,
 Simon

--
Simon Hausmann - Tronical^Colorfast - <tronical@gmx.net> - IRCNet #colorfast

we have joy, we have fun, we have linux on our sun