List:       kde-i18n
Subject:    Re: konqygui
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () ens ! ascom ! ch>
Date:       1999-02-18 13:38:00

David Faure wrote:
> (2) Or, to read mail for instance, a window split up into three views :
> one for showing the folders, one for the messages in the folder, one for
> the message itself.
> As Waldo told me : "a user opens a new window when he wants to read mail",
> because reading mail might involve more than one view.
> (Add in this argument the tree-view like in kfm II, bound to another view.)

Responding to this very specific part of the discussion:

Basically you want to support the treeview-follows-file-view in a very
general
way: You have two views which are related in a parent-child sort of way.

When you select something in the parent, the chiuld changes... when you
change
the child, the parent might change...

Compare a mailbox-view (a list of msg's) and msg-view. Compare a
directory
tree-view with (list of directories) with a file-view (list of files).

You can combine these as well:

tree-view with directories:file-view with files:mailbox-file with
messages:
message-view

You can think of several streategies to handle this.

The most simple one is the html-approach: have one view, and when the
user
selects something in the view, the view gets replaced with the contents.

Another simple one is: have one view, and when the user selects
something in
the view, another window opens with the contents.

A more complex one: have one view, when something is selected a
child-view is
created in the same window (when it not exists already) which contains
the
context.

The above scenario would give you 4 views inside the window when you
have
"directory:file:msgbox:msg".

If you think 4 views is to much you could either make it configurable
that
when the 4th(3rd?) window wants to appear, the first one is removed
first.

WIth this in the "directory:file:msgbox:msg" case, you would end up with
the three views: file, msgbox, msg.

This might be actually a quite good advanced option, because when you
are browsing a mailbox, you will not that often change to a different
directory.

Alternatively the user could click a view away.

Cheers,
Waldo
http://www.kde.org