List:       kde-i18n
Subject:    Re: konqygui
From:       David Faure <David.Faure () insa-lyon ! fr>
Date:       1999-02-17 15:42:46

On Wed, Feb 17, 1999 at 12:25:37PM +0100, Simon Hausmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think it might be perhaps good to give a more detailed description about the
> gui problem in regard to the "componentification of konqueror" thread. This
> might help everyone to
>  a) understand the real problem
>  b) and it might help to bring up new ideas (hopefully :)
>
> I will now assume that everyone agrees with David's proposal/drawing and
> therefore also agrees that KonqViews should be embeddable parts (in general) .
>
> <introduction_about_how_parts_"behave">
(...)
> </introduction_about_how_parts_"behave">

Thanks for the explanations.
It really looks like this is good only for koffice documents (well, the
views of those documents), not for konqueror normal (html & filemanager) views.

> Now our problem is, independend whether we want an all-in-one embeddable
> konqueror part or not:
> We will be in the situation that our embedded KonqViews (not matter
> whether they're embedded in a mainwindow or just in an all-in-one part) will be
> activated/deactivated by the user pretty often (just imagine how often you
> switch between htmlview and iconview once in a session) .
Yup, and it's not only when switching between view modes, it also when switching
from left view to right view, which happens even more often when you have
two views !

I have an idea, following to my remark above : there are two completely
different things we want to do :
* use several 'normal' views, often : the HTML and filemanager views
* use, sometimes, another app. embedded in konqueror, for reading mail, ...

Why not do a KonqView, only one, that can contain several ... hum...
"sub-views", those being either HTML, Icons, ...
And kfmgui will be able to embed other views, i.e. from other apps.

Let's go for another drawing, I'll let you do the IDL.  :)

I had yet another namespace problem, so I will name the IDL interface for a
"view" (previously "KonqView") as "KonqPart".

             KonqPart   - the IDL interface

          |                    |                    |
        KonqPartImpl      "OutlookLike"View        ...

KonqPartImpl the implementation of KonqPart as done in konqueror (I'm very
bad at finding names). (Do we really need two names here ?)
The holding of KonqParts in KonqGui could be done just like a koffice app,
then. Some sort of MDI. Because when using konqueror as a file manager /
web browser, it would be always in the same window.

A KonqPartImpl holds several KonqViews, arranged in a KMultiPanner or whatever widget.
This enables to keep the same Part (in terms of IDL / openparts), while
browsing, and therefore reduces flicker a lot.

The different kinds of KonqView would be organised this way :

                  KonqView

          ------------------------
          |                      |
         KfmView              HTMLView

     IconView  TreeView    ...

What do you think ?

Of course, this doesn't solve the problem whether KfmGui is a part too -
but then I think it could be, if you implement the menu-merging solution.

|  David FAURE                                                       |
|  E-mail : David.Faure@insa-lyon.fr, faure@kde.org                  |
|  http://www.insa-lyon.fr/People/AEDI/dfaure/index.html             |