On Tue, Feb 16, 1999 at 06:09:38PM +0000, Teodor Romeo Mihai wrote: > David Faure wrote: > > > > On Tue, Feb 16, 1999 at 04:29:07PM +0000, Teodor Romeo Mihai wrote: > > > rupert THURNER wrote: > > > > > Like I said before, guys, I'm talking about the non-working clipboard in > > > KDE and you're talking about openparts. > > > > Clipboard is something a bit special (because handled by X and by Qt - even > > before KDE can do something about it). > > Qt, as of 1.42, clipboard is text-only, and not associated to a type. > > Qt 2.0 implements a clipboard with mimetype to determine the contents, > > multiple formats for the data (I think), and binary data (afaik). > > So when we switch to Qt 2.0, we'll benefit from all this. > > > > I really know this. I have read most of the Qt 1.42 source code and most > of the kdelibs code, so I can say I'm familiar with the problem. > However, saying that "clipboard is a bit special because of the X" and > "we switch to Qt 2.0, we'll benefit from all this" is barely an excuse. > I can't believe you decided to wait for Qt 2.0 before handling the > clipboard. Anyway, I've decided not to wait, so I have implemented my > own clipboard for internal objects, which acts as well as a wrapper over > the Qt clipboard, and it works fine. Therefore it can be done. Of course it can be done ! But if you did it, you could have contributed to the KDE by sharing your work, so that the whole KDE would have a fully functional clipboard. > And it's not only the clipboard. It's the drag-and-drop. And I could go > on for a long time like that, but this is not the point. There is > nothing wrong about thinking of the future - as long as we have a steady > present. A real desktop environment is made with good applications, > which we don't quite have, and they require good libraries and good > documentation. Feel free to contribute, if you something misses work ! We're doing what we can !! > You can't make the things perfect, but nobody asks that. You seem to ask that.... Without having contributed an inch. > What you can do is provide a base, before thinking too hard about the > next kfm. I know it's more exciting to decide the next features of the > version 1.1 rather than writing the help for 1.0, but it's up to you to > decide which one is the mature choice. Personally, I'm doing both at the same time. Have a look at how many bugs I've fixed in kfm - the current one, kfm II - since I maintain it (October 1998). You'll _really_ be surprised. About the clipboard, I implemented copy/paste of text (from line edits, HTML pages, ...) as well as URLs. So yes, I addressed the problem of the clipboard (but I had to deal with the old internal kfm clipboard for URLs, so it wasn't a global solution for KDE). But there were many many other things to fix. I don't need somebody to tell me what I should do. Certainly not the way you do. I think I can at the same time fix the current kfm AND think about the next version of it without this being an immature choice. -- ____________________________________________________________________ | | | David FAURE | | E-mail : David.Faure@insa-lyon.fr, faure@kde.org | | http://www.insa-lyon.fr/People/AEDI/dfaure/index.html | |____________________________________________________________________|