rupert THURNER wrote: > > i'm convinced that torben, reggie, simon and waldo propose the best > thing: > parts. > > why? > 1. parts can be easily changed, and can be used by other applications. > 2. a part is mail-reader-part is easier to write than a whole outlook. > 3. the user does not notice the underlying technology > (i.e. if the parts have outlook funcionaltiy you won't > notice a difference to outlook) > > outlook indeed is a usable program, but its a monster, all in one. > outlook is definitely the best program for manageing contacts and > schedule in a small/medium (small groups) style. BUT, netscape is the > fastest and most usable program for mailing (imap and news is most > mature, if you are interested you can have a list of missing features in > outlook98) and group use in a larger style (with ldap, calendar, ... i > mean they managed to break their stuff down in a nice way), and > staroffice would be the most flexible program for mailing and > newsreading (if you are interested, same offer), if it would be faster > and would not have so many bugs. (restricted to what i know: unix/linux > and windows, no be, no next, no macos programs in this field ... except > netscape ;)) ). > > i'm sure that when working on kde-outlook, you also considered some code > and functionality separation. so you already HAVE a something like a > separate mailreader, and a shared tree. if your kde-outlook-mail-reader > has a KOM/openpart interface, it could plug in to the architecture > proposed by simon (correct me if i'm wrong here ....). > > rupert. Well, it's no point to fight over which one is the best mailer; I totally agree that Netscape has a larger style, but the Calendar/Directory server procedure is quite complex and certainly not intended for single users, like me, who want just a fast, reasonably complex and decent looking mailer. By mailer I rather mean "message center software". I'm afraid I'm considering - for the time being - just a program that works well and it's easy to use. Like I said before, guys, I'm talking about the non-working clipboard in KDE and you're talking about openparts. And anyway it's too late, I'm expecting the first release in about a month. Maybe the next version, if I'll find documentation. BTW, this Outlook clone is called Magellan; I decided that the first release will be fully-functional and non-beta (if possible), so all I can offer you in a few days are some screen-shots. The full release comes in about 5 weeks. I'll post something as soon as my web designer finishes making the website. Sorry about that, but I'll hope you'll like it :) Regards, teddy