List:       kde-i18n
Subject:    Re: konqueror components
From:       rupert THURNER <rthurner () edu ! uni-klu ! ac ! at>
Date:       1999-02-16 16:07:02

i'm convinced that torben, reggie, simon and waldo propose the best
thing:
parts.

why?
1. parts can be easily changed, and can be used by other applications.
2. a part is mail-reader-part is easier to write than a whole outlook.
3. the user does not notice the underlying technology
   (i.e. if the parts have outlook funcionaltiy you  won't
   notice a difference to outlook)

outlook indeed is a usable program, but its a monster, all in one.
outlook is definitely the best program for manageing contacts and
schedule in a small/medium (small groups) style. BUT, netscape is the
fastest and most usable program for mailing (imap and news is most
mature, if you are interested you can have a list of missing features in
outlook98) and group use in a larger style (with ldap, calendar, ... i
mean they managed to break their stuff down in a nice way), and
staroffice would be the most flexible program for mailing and
newsreading (if you are interested, same offer), if it would be faster
and would not have so many bugs. (restricted to what i know: unix/linux
and windows, no be, no next, no macos programs in this field ... except
netscape ;)) ).

i'm sure that when working on kde-outlook, you also considered some code
and functionality separation. so you already HAVE a something like a
separate mailreader, and a shared tree. if your kde-outlook-mail-reader
has a KOM/openpart interface, it could plug in to the architecture
proposed by simon (correct me if i'm wrong here ....).

rupert.