List:       kde-i18n
Subject:    Re: doc/kcontrol subdirs renamed, kdisplay renamed
From:       Peter Silva <peter.silva () videotron ! ca>
Date:       1998-12-21 21:33:18

Alex Zepeda wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Dec 1998, David Faure wrote:
>
> > In kdebase/doc/kcontrol, all dirs have been renamed to match the
> > binary name (started by Peter Silva, finished by me today).

Merci bien David!

> I hope you had coolo do a "repository copy" i.e. copy the rcs files in the
> newly created directories, so the history is preserved.

nope.  I tried, I asked, and the methods prescribed said "rm CVS", so I did.
I guess I would have had to use the "ask coolo" method to accomplish that
particular minor miracle.  If it's of any interest or can still be recovered,
they are still on my hard disk, I can upload them somewhere...

> >  Should probably be done in kdebase/kcontrol/ but that's another
> > story.
>
> Um no.  kcontrol/blah implies kcmblah.

In the source tree you have:
	kdebase/kcontrol/<blah>

In the kdebase/doc tree you had...
	kdebase/doc/kcontrol/<blah>

which had makefiles that installed docs under:

	KDEDIR/share/doc/HTML/en/kcontrol/kcm<blah>

It does this because kcontrol seems to build the directory name
from the app who's help is required, so it has to match once installed.
It also has the unfortunate result that no links in the doc source tree
work between manuals (until they are installed.)

The translators took the doc source tree as a model, so they have:

	www/documentation/de/base/kcontrol/<blah>

The german translation team also took the names from the source instead
of the destination, so their docs are likely pretty difficult to install.

The directories in kdebase/doc/kcontrol were renamed so that the source
for the documentation can be literally transferred to the English doc tree
(and vice versa.) and so that other languages (which use that tree as a
starting point.) would be ok as well.

For now, I'm ignoring syssound (which has three language subdirs) ...

as for the actual source, it would probably be cleaner to do that too
as David suggested, but I'm traumatized enough from last night not to
volunteer, besides, it there's no concrete benefit to changing those
names.

--
Peter