List:       kde-i18n
Subject:    Re: The many meanings of none
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () kde ! org>
Date:       1998-10-29 7:48:49

Logi Ragnarsson wrote:

> Stephan Kulow wrote:
> >Logi Ragnarsson wrote:
>
> >> I'm having a lot of trouble translating the word 'none' to Icelandic.
> >None is already removed from the central catalogue. Which sources do you
> >translate?
>
> This is in kcmkwm
I meant the date (current or old) ;)

I can't find the string none in kcmkwm. nothing is there, but for me it
seems, that's fine. Since it describes in every case an action - so you
can translate it with "do nothing"

> >> A similar (but much smaller) problem is the word 'solid' in kcmkwm which appears
> >> twice on the Windows page, but only once in the pot. In Icelandic, I would like
> >> to use two forms of the word. As it is, I have to change the titles of the two
> >> frames where it appears to something less natural to be able to use the same
> >> form of 'solid'.
> >>
> >Make a suggestion how to change one of the words in the dialog. If your
> >suggestion still keeps the meaning this is no problem :)
>
> Well, it makes sense to have the same word in both cases (move solid and resize
> solid) in English, but in Icelandic I would like to use two cases. I have
> wriggled out of the problem by changing the caption slightly, so the same case
> can be used, but I might not always b able to do this.
>
> I understanda then, that if this is ever a great problem, the original code
> must be changed, so the two output strings differ somehow, even if it is only
> in white-space?

white spaces are fine :) A bit confusing for other translators, but a
theoretical
way.

Greetings, Stephan

--
Du musst weiterkaempfen bis zum Umfallen! Und wenn die ganze
Welt 'nen Arsch offen hat oder gerade deswegen. - K. Wecker