Hello, > I have translated a few POs that I will probably be mailing to Kulow soon. > (No > replacement yet?). They are definately not perfect, I'm worried about > keeping > them around without sending them in. /me will probably be replacement (I added some of your .po files). > I don't quite know how the internationalization stuff works, but I suspect > that > each time one of the output strings in one of the applications changes, a > new > POT is generated and some automated mechanism is applied to the PO files? > This > sort of mechanism would occasionally make errors, so we'd need to look at > the > stuff once in a while? That's right. But the things, which could have errors have ,fuzzy comment before them, so they can be easily found. > Might it also cause a problem if I download a PO file, keep it around and > slowly improve it locally without sending it in? Then it would slowly > become > out-dated as the POT changes and become more difficult to bring up-to-date > again? No, if somebody else won't update it while you're doing that... The new .po file can be generated anytime from the old .po file using new .pot ;-))). > Lastly, some applications (one obvious example is kmail.po, but a lot of > the > kcm*.po files too) don't seem to have strings in the POT for every string > that > apears on the screen. Is this caused by how the application is written or > do I > perhaps have a corrupted POT? If this is a bug in the programs, it might > not > actually be worth translating those programs at all, since a program that > is > half in english is worse than one which is completely in english. Both can be true. When i18n.highscore (http://www.kde.org/i18n.highscore) updates, you should see how many strings are translated. If it reports no untranslated/fuzzy entries, the problem is in application (you should mail author in this case). > Oh, and an afterthought :-) How important is it that the translators be > running the latest (or recent) snapshots of kde? I think I'm the only one > of > the Icelandic translators who has bothered to install anything more recent > than 1.0 (and a couple of apps didn't compile). You don't need this while translating, but BEFORE release, you should download the latest, let it compile and check everything ;-). It's funny to see, how you translated an application you haven't seen (or part of it) translated. But you should upgrade from CVS from time to time. > I'm sending this in now, before it gets out of hand. E-mail tends to grow > when > left in the mail queue for too long. ;-)). Nice day, Juraj.