List:       kde-i18n
Subject:    Translation of special characters 128 - 165 to 7 Bit for ktalk (fwd)
From:       Burkhard Lehner <b_lehner () informatik ! uni-kl ! de>
Date:       1998-05-15 12:34:45

                                               Kaiserslautern, 15.5.98
Hi, Translators!

I am the author of ktalk, and I added a long time ago an option to ktalk
to translate the german ´Umlaute´ äöüÄÖÜß to normal 7Bit ASCII characters.
This is necessary sometimes when you talk to an old talk client that
cannot display characters with bit 8 set. The translation is:

  Ä -> Ae
  Ö -> Oe
  Ü -> Ue
  ä -> ae
  ö -> oe
  ü -> ue
  ß -> ss

There are of course other special characters in other languages. Could
someone tell me how to translate them? I heard from David Faure, that
accents in French are most often just dropped.

So, all you French, Swedish, Danish, ... speaking people, please tell me
what you would type instead of that special character, if you are not able
to use it.

It would also be possible to preceed the character by another one, so that
"placing the one on top of the other" results in the character you want to
get. (LaTeX does something similar.) This is what I mean:

  Ä -> "A
  Ö -> "O
  Ü -> "U
  A with a circle on it -> °A
  N with a tilde upon -> ~N
  a with a circumflex -> ^a

  etc.

(Excuse me, but I can't type those characters on my keyboard :-) )

I don't like that idea so much. Maybe one could do two translations, and
let the user choose between them?

Any opinions, comments, translation tables, ...?
Please reply to me directly, since I am not in the kde-i18n list.

Bye,
   Burkhard

   "Manchmal glaube ich, der beste Beweis dafür, dass es anderswo im
Weltall intelligentes Leben gibt, ist der, dass noch niemand versucht
hat, Kontakt zu uns aufzunehmen."
(Aus "Calvin und Hobbes: Immer voll drauf" von Bill Watterson)

Burkhard Lehner, Trippstadter Str. 121 / App. 106, 67663 Kaiserslautern
Telefon : (0631) 10363
EMail   : b_lehner@informatik.uni-kl.de
Homepage: http://www.student.uni-kl.de/~blehner