List:       kde-i18n
Subject:    Re: Again: Some wrong translations to Spanish
From:       Boris Wesslowski <bwess () gmx ! net>
Date:       1998-05-10 9:53:22

Hola,

>Please tell me what do you think about my previous message.
>
>If I don't receive any answer I will change the mentioned
>Spanish translations in the CVS (I'm from Spain so I'm
>supposed to know what I'm talking about :-)

What kind of threats are this? :-)
Didn't you read my mail?

1.- Check the CVS first, most of your suggestions and many other changes
    are already there.
2.- I'm from Mexico and I am a native spanish speaker too.

About your previous mail:

> * 'On'/'Off' in the kdelibs' es.po are translated as 'Prendido'/'Apagado'
>   and should be 'Activado'/'Desactivado'

I changed this, but it is fuzzy anyways (the good thing is that anybody
would understand either). The bigger problem is that both produce wrong
constructions (e.g. in the KDE control center):
"Repeticón de teclas: Activado/Desactivado"
"Animación de redimensión: Activado/Desactivado"

What do you think of the change from _A_rchivo/A_y_uda to _F_ichero/_A_yuda?
(I know, I broke my own accelerators, but that's a quick fix)

> * 'Shaded' in kcmkwm.po is translated as 'Sombreado' but should
>   be 'Persiana' (so 'Un(Shade)' should be 'Cerrar/Abrir persiana', which
>   is a bit long, but is the translation found in the Corel suite :-))

As I said, all this depends on how literal you want to translate the
english terms or how much you want to copy words from other applications /
GUI's.
But I agree that "persiana" describes the function better than "shadow".

> * I've found 'la terminal' in many places, but it should be 'el terminal'
>   (terminal is male gender in Spanish)

I first couldn't believe this. Every terminal I have heard of, from the
airport terminal to the computer terminal window, is female! My dictionary
told me that there are cases (not in common use in Mexico, like "terminal
eléctrico") where it is male. I don't know if this is different in Spain,
but dividing the spanish translations in european spanish and american
spanish is IMHO a bad idea.

> * 'Unmount' in kfm.po is translated as 'Icono cuando no esta montado', which

This was intended for the device icons and is fixed.

> * 'Swallow' in kmenuedit.po is translated as 'tragar' ('eat' ??), I think it
>   could be better translated by 'Iconizar' (although it is not perfect)

"Empotrar" seems better.

>By the way, in the 'About KDE' dialog box which is found in every kde app,
>when you say 'software engineers commited to free software development',
>do you mean free as in freedom, or as in 'no cost' ? if the answer is freedom
>it is ok, but if it's the second, 'libre' is not the correct translation, so
>it should be 'gratuito'.

I don't want to start the free software vs. open source software argument
again, but I think "libre" is the correct term; KDE offers more than freeware.

Saludos
--
Boris Wesslowski                                boris@wesslowski.com
http://boris.kyb.ml.org/                           kybServer Projekt