List:       kde-i18n
Subject:    Re: KWM sgml French translation
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () kde ! org>
Date:       1998-02-14 18:52:11

Peter Silva wrote:

> Stephan Kulow wrote:
> >
> > DARRAS Francois wrote:
> > >
> > > I am currently translating the KWM SGML into french and there are some
> > > features I don't understand. Please send an email back to me if you've
> > > got an answer.
> > >
> > > Section 2.1 (end) :
> > > What are "mapped (visible) windows" ?
> > the window manager (or better the X-Server) distinguishs between visible
> > (mapped) and unvisible (unmapped) windows. The mapped windows you can
> > see,
> > the unmapped are shown as icons or as toolbar entries (like in kwm).
> > >
> > > Section 5 :
> > > What are :
> > > "Window New Trans"
> > > "Window Delete Trans"
> > > "Window Shade Up/Down" (is it raise ????)
> > No. I still don't know, where the word shade comes from, but it means,
> > that the window is scrolled up and down to the titlebar.
>
> The word comes from window blinds that roll up.
>
> Literal translations of "window shade"
>
> Québec french:  "store à rouleau"
>
> Based on a tiny Langensheeidts Dictionary, I think the German would be:
>         "Rouleau"

Now, that you gave me this hint, I looked at "Rolladen" (the above
doesn't fit very well into German. The short form, that is pronounced
like Rouleau is Rollo ;) and found, that "shade" is the US form for
shutter. This explains many things.

But the problem stand: how would you translate it? I would translate
it for german like "window roll up/down". Rollo wouldn't fit very
well into the context ;)

Thanks, Stephan

--
A big plus when your parents split up, is, that you don't
have to imagine them doing it again. * Mr. Rhodes