List:       kde-games-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kde-games-devel] Current status of libkdegames ?
From:       Josef Spillner <dr_maux () maux ! de>
Date:       2001-07-20 17:31:04

On Friday 20 July 2001 18:11, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Friday, 20. July 2001 17:58 (GMT +0200), Ismael Orenstein wrote:
> > Really? Where I can find it ? The code isn't in the kdegames package yet,
> > right ?
>
> Really? Last time I had a look it was. But maybe I am wrong and the version
> in kdegames differs in more than just teh network stuff from the version in
> kdenonbeta?

AFAIK it has been out-sourced to kdenonbeta to enhance it, without affecting
the games which already use it.

> > But to support basic ggz functionaly (ie, to make an existing game use
> > GGZ) it is just a matter of connecting to the Unix socket (although the
> > game must use only TCP sockets... UDP is a bit more tricky)

Actually I thought that because KDE has no UDP game yet (sorry, the author of
the fast side-scroller Kernel-Konq doesn't seem to work on that project
anymore), we could just take a bunch of code from games which make use of it,
like Stalker, and put it into a Qt-bound library for such purpose :-)
But as long as there's no such attempt, using straight TCP shouldn't give any
problems.

I'm also planning to turn the DRS stuff I'm currently working on
(http://mindx.sourceforge.net/drs) into a plain KDE thing as one
implementation, so it may be contributed to libkdegames. However, this might
take a while, right now it's not even working in console mode :)

Josef

--
The MindX Open Source Project: Fighting proprietary games
GGZ now! - The GGZ Gaming Zone: http://ggz.sourceforge.net