List:       kde-games-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kde-games-devel] kggz 0.0.4
From:       Josef Spillner <dr_maux () maux ! de>
Date:       2001-06-26 18:05:34

On Tuesday, 26. June 2001 12:40, Philippe FREMY wrote:
> I have just seen the release of KGGz. Why is the release number 0.0.4 and
> not 0.4 ?

Because it is 0.0.4, actually.
And I'm very thankful to Andreas Pour for setting things up, I guess it took
quite a long time, because the release was over a week ago.
Only the authors are listed incorrectly, but this will be fixed soon.

> Three digits version numbers make sense when you are bugfixing an already
> released version, but this is not the case here.

Nah.
Bugfixes in the sense of patchlevels would go like 0.0.4pl1, 0.0.4pl2...
Bugfixes in the sense of Debian would go like 0.0.4-2, 0.0.4-3 etc.
It's not a stable release (0.1 will be of "beta" quality, for example), but
it's useful for playing games already.
We're not Microsoft or Yahoo or Blizzard to release bad-working online games
stuff with high version numbers.
The next version (0.0.5) will already provide Transport Layer Security, and I
will still call it "alpha".
To be serious, bugfixes make only sense for (relatively) stable releases, so
I could imagine a 1.0.2 for the far future as an improved 1.0 version, but
right now I'm glad enough to fulfil all the wishlist items which have reached
me so far - they're even more than bug reports :-)

Although the priority right now for me is the LinuxTag, so this is what I'm
working on. Yesterday I tried to create a little GL app, but I could let it
crash (reproducible), so I spent the rest of the evening with downloading X11
and Mesa, to run the latest and greatest there :-)
I hope the error is not in Qt (it crashes after about 70000 update paint
cycles).

Josef

--
The MindX Open Source Project: Fighting proprietary games
GGZ now! - The GGZ Gaming Zone: http://ggz.sourceforge.net