List:       kde-games-devel
Subject:    [Kde-games-devel] Re: [kmonop-devel] monopd meeting on IRC
From:       Rob Kaper <cap () capsi ! com>
Date:       2001-06-26 13:59:41

On Mon, Jun 25, 2001 at 12:08:22PM +0200, Daniel Hermann wrote:
> We could achieve interoperability by dropping one server project and
> merging it into the other. But is that the best way? On the other hand
> only unifying the protocol and developing both servers is (partly)
> duplication of effort.

Since there are already two clients working with monopd (soon to be three, a
Java applet client is in the works), I am of course quite biased and would
like to keep monopd. Partially because it was designed and intended to
support a wide range of clients, something which your protocol (if I
understood correctly) was not.

So I guess I will continue developing the monopd protocol, I do not care too
much about an exact code implementation, although if Erik and you decide it
would be better done in pure C that would give me a chance to create a
non-GUI Qt version..

> We should at first work out the details about our two different protocols
> to see what's common and what's different. Rob, could you write down
> something like a definition of your protocol structure (message types,
> etc) and where they are used? I will do so, too.

API (outdated, but the general idea should be clear)
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/monopd/monopd/API?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

ChangeLog (should include API updates, such as "new command" or "added
attribute to XML message")
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/monopd/monopd/ChangeLog?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

commands.cc (contains practically all I/O)
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/monopd/monopd/commands.cc?rev=1.31&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

> If we both commented our servers well enough, it would be very easy ;-)
> (I'm no computer scientist, so it should be understandable for a laity ;-)
> I don't know when I find the time to do this, probably until next weekend.

I just finished playing a game by manually telnetting into the server and
reading XML and typing the commands, so I think you'll be able to comprehend
the protocol.

> > I propose that Daniel and I (and other interested parties) come together
> > on IRC (#kde at irc.openprojects.net ?) in the near future so we can
> > probe each others thoughts and roadmaps. Eventually our common goal is
> > to have a kick-ass Monopoly game for KDE, so we should be able to find a
> > common roadmap and work together. :-)
>
> What about next weekend?

You can find me on #kde every evening (CEST) but sure, how about Saturday
21:00 CEST? (that's 19:00 GMT I believe). Unless you've got a better place,
I'd say look for Capzilla on #kde at irc.openprojects.net. We can always
move to #monopd once we've spotted each other.

Rob
--
Rob Kaper     | 'What? In riddles?' said Gandalf. 'No! For I was talking
cap@capsi.com | aloud to myself. A habit of the old: they choose the wisest