List:       kde-games-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kde-games-devel] kbattle.net
From:       Rob Kaper <cap () capsi ! com>
Date:       2001-05-21 13:59:32

On Mon, May 21, 2001 at 10:42:25AM +0200, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> Dear, dear! I am away for _one_ weekend and you start the longest thread
> in history (TM) ;-)

Let us know when you'll be gone again and we'll guarantee even more
progress. ;-)

> AFAIK the GGZ project is primary a server framework but they do host clients
> for it as well. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> If the assumption above is close enough to reality our efforts should go into
> integrating a generic GGZ client into libkdegames, so that KDE game
> developers can easily make their games GGZ compatible.

I am very much leaning towards that thought as well. GGZ is the meetingplace
Niko was looking for and it makes sense to put the client code (KGGZ's or
our own implementation) in libkdegames to make it available to all KDE
games.

> Of course we could do something like GGZ ourselves but that is IMHO only
> waste of resources (mainly developer time). kdelibs doesn't include a
> ftp-server just because it provides a ftp-slave :P

Yes. I suggest we all (at least those of us interested) give KGGZ a try and
look into the API/classes and see how much trouble it would be to port games
to it - hopefully that would be fairly easy.

To be continued..

Rob
--
Rob Kaper     | 'What? In riddles?' said Gandalf. 'No! For I was talking
cap@capsi.com | aloud to myself. A habit of the old: they choose the wisest