List:       kde-games-devel
Subject:    RE: [Kde-games-devel] Local AND system wide highscore lists?
From:       Philippe FREMY <P.FREMY () OBERTHURCS ! com>
Date:       2001-05-07 15:46:14

> > Also what about a "clear/reset highscores" (but don't ask me how
> > this can done security wise except for root)

I don't see why one would want to reset the hishscore. Highscore should only
be modified by higher scores, no ?

> What about this: a user can vote on resetting the highscore.
> This will be
> stored in the highscore file. After that all users that
> access the file will
> be informed that someone reuqested a reset and are asked to
> vote on the
> change. The file writing program checks if at least 2/3 of
> the players on the
> current score list have cast their vote and then decides on
> the will if the
> majority (maybe with a greater weight on the No.1 player if
> the vote is 50/50)
I suggest to restrict yourself to simple highscore storing.

Who will ever use the features you describe ? You will take a long time to
resolve all the problems involving this although nobody is going to use it.
Implementing teleconference about high score resetting is outside the scope
of highscore handling. If the users really want the highscore to be
resetted, they can meet together (using the appropriate tool) and send a
message to the root who can do it.

It is good to have many ideas and I really appreciate your enthusiasm, but
it is good to stay focused on what is really needed, especially when you
code a library for others. I wouldn't want to see khighscore delayed for
month because you just can't finish the polling stuff.

	regards,

	Philippe