List:       kde-games-devel
Subject:    RE: [Kde-games-devel] KHighscore setuid?
From:       Philippe FREMY <P.FREMY () OBERTHURCS ! com>
Date:       2001-04-30 15:57:19

In my opinion the best solution is the current one: install a
> local highscore
> by default - a system-wide highscore into a separate
> directory if wished.
> That enables distributions to install the highscores to /var
> and that's it.

With your current solution, I still don't see how the system-wide high score
can be updated. Has /var some special properties regarding this ?

I have posted your last message to the kde-devel mailing list, with the hope
that someone give us a very good idea. I would really like to be able to
share my highscore table with others.

A few ideas that comes to my mind:
- the score is stored in the user config file and KHighScore collects all
these config files
from many users to build a highscore table.
   . How about users whose directory is not accessible ? We don't care.
   . What if the system has 10000 users ? Maybe a user could register
himself somehow to
     say that he has a high_score table. But how would the user registration
be stored ?
     We are back to the same nightmare.

- kdelib has some magic way to handle that for us. Maybe kdelib is more able
that our simple library to do this kind of thing.

	regards,

	Philippe