List:       kde-games-devel
Subject:    [Kde-games-devel] KMessage* classes are ready now!
From:       Burkhard Lehner <Burkhard.Lehner () gmx ! de>
Date:       2001-04-20 22:15:16

Hi, developers!

I removed a lot of bugs from the KMessageIO, KMessageClient and
KMessageServer classes, and I think they should be somewhat usuable now.

I won't be home next week, so I will not have the time to work on it soon. If
you want to, you can try to use these classes in libkdegames. You could use
the following "translation table":

  KGameClient -> KMessageIO
  KGameNetwork -> KMessageClient
  KGameCommunicationServer -> KMessageServer

If you are missing features, feel free to insert them yourself, or drop me a
little note. I will try to update the classes as soon as I'm back again.

I think the KMessageServer lacks one feature: Every new client must be
reported to the master. (Or should it be reported to every other client?) It
should be easy to create a new message type in KMessageServer, and define
another signal "newClientConnected" in KMessageClient. Feel free to add
yourself, otherwise I will do this when I'm back.

Bye,
	Burkhard

PS: I have some ideas about a very general "property system", using QString
as a key to a property, QVariant as the value stored, and a
QRegularExpression, so that every client can say which properties he is
interested in. So only those clients interested in a property (or a group of
properties) is informed about a change. What do you think about such a thing?

The code could look like this:

    listenToProperties (QRegExp ("board*"));
    changeProperty ("board" + QString::number (row)
                                       + QString::number (col),
                            QVariant (QString ("Black King")));

I have a lot of more ideas for this property system, but I still have to
think about them.