List:       kde-games-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kde-games-devel] Fwd: continuity between games
From:       Josef Spillner <dr_maux () maux ! de>
Date:       2001-04-04 19:03:56

On Wed  4 Apr 2001 02:23 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> Something I've noticed with the games is a lack of consisteny in the menus.
> For example, in some games F2 starts the game, in others its Ctrl-N. I
> would expect this variation if i got the games seperately, but these are
> all from kdegames. as a package one would expect consistency.

As (hopefully) KDE games are getting more complex and diverse it would be
very difficult to handle this. I would agree that the keyboard shortcuts
could be changed for the already existant ones (if someone with CVS access
volunteers), but there is clearly a difference between e.g. KOffice (which
must provide a consistent user UI) and usually games, which are free to
follow their own rules. I would even appreciate more KDE games which don't
look like KDE/Qt on every board and menu.

Any good library (except UI ones) gives the programmer freedom to design an
UI which fits the game, and not the environment as normal apps do. Sorry I
don't have an URL handy, there are some scientific docs out there which
explain the uniqeness of games, their ability to catch the player, and why
Unix features just like multitasking don't play that role for games. Again,
this does not apply to most of the current KDE games.

An overall question is how far the support for external games should go. On
kde-devel this has already been discussed for external KDE applications.
There is now another major difference: There are lots of cool game/graphics
libs, but an internal KDE game cannot depend on a lib outside of its CVS
tree, except standard ones. On the other side most games don't link against
kdelibs because games are desktop-independent, at least fullscreen games, but
also other ones. Think of Qt games, for example. Maybe a rhetorical question:
"How much KDE do games need?" - There may be different opinions here.

Josef

--
The MindX Project - http://mindx.sourceforge.net
student - js177634@inf.tu-dresden.de