List:       kde-games-devel
Subject:    Re: Server Process (was: Re: Re: [Kde-games-devel] Hello to the list!)
From:       Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer () gmx ! at>
Date:       2001-03-20 19:35:17

On Tuesday, 20. March 2001 13:52, Martin Heni wrote:
> Ok, I like basically the whole summary Andi did in his last
> mails. I guess this is a good route to follow. So we should
> pronounce the masser/slave/client/server concept more in
> the KGame library by e.g. letting the master approve the moves.

Agreed. I think that's the base of all servers, because even no control is
some kind of control (although not a very tight one :P)
Right now I can't even imagine a game where a player is allowed to manipulate
things coommon to all players without asking someones permission.
That would be like accessing the same memory from different processes without
snychronisation.

> I would prefer though if we would not need a separate process
> for the master. So I think we should try to follow Andi's suggestion here.
> But maybe we can again keep this flexible (to accommodate the Monopoly
> case too).  I think kind of a master without own players would act as
> a pure master whereas a master which has local players would be
> the first case.

As I wrote in my last email, I also think it would be a bad idea to require
the server to be a separate process. IMO it wouldn't be difficult to write a
server-only app as long as the server framework does not require any GUI
elements or runtime-user input. But his is not very likely anyway.

> Martin

Kevin