List:       kde-games-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kde-games-devel] Just an idea: global (internet) high scores for kde games
From:       Josef Spillner <dr_maux () maux ! de>
Date:       2001-03-19 17:25:43

On Mon 19 Mar 2001 10:53 Matthijs Sypkens Smit wrote:
> I was playing kjezz this morning and I was wondering how my scores compared
> to those of other players. From this the idea spawned that it would
> probably be nice to have a global high score of all the users of kde games.

(the brute method:)
Which would require write access on a server, which implies that you have to
distribute usernames/password with your sources, which is a security risk.
A non-option would be to use closed sources (just as many Windows games do).
A valid option I can think of is the use of indirect write access, e.g.
through CGI methods. Interesting but difficult to implement (there are
different "game ladder" methods out there).

The probably best solution is to let the high scores be handled by the server.
This doesn't give you any of the disadvantages listed above, but raises other
problems. (You should probably read the linuxgames archives for a discussion
on that topic).
Not every kind of game provides strict rules: An example which does would be
TicTacToe, because the server knows that every player has to use exactly one
field every turn, and decides itself when the game is over. But if the server
input is more complex, and the player has a certain degree of freedom, it is
hard to impossible to follow this concept.
And of course this is not possible in peer-to-peer games (never trust a
client). Unfortunately there are not many permanent game servers out there.
The only place to set one up I know of is morat.net for free software games.
(Any additions are welcome here.)

Josef

--
The MindX Project - http://mindx.sourceforge.net