List:       kde-games-devel
Subject:    Re: Proposed new set of levels for KGoldrunner
From:       Ian Wadham <iandw.au () gmail ! com>
Date:       2021-06-07 0:07:08

Hi Albert,

> On 7 Jun 2021, at 8:22 am, Albert Astals Cid <aacid@kde.org> wrote:
>
> El dissabte, 5 de juny de 2021, a les 5:58:51 (CEST), Ian Wadham va escriure:
> > Hi Albert,
> >
> > > On 17 Apr 2021, at 9:20 am, Albert Astals Cid <aacid@kde.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > El divendres, 16 d'abril de 2021, a les 8:03:34 (CEST), Ian Wadham va escriure:

> > > https://community.kde.org/Infrastructure/GitLab#Submitting_a_merge_request \
> > > lists all you need to know to submit a Merge Request, but if you feel \
> > > overwhelmed, just send the files my way and i'll create the Merge Request for \
> > > you.
> >
> > The files for the new set of levels are now ready to go into a Merge Request, so \
> > I would like to take you up on your kind offer, Albert.
> > There are two new text files, a game file and a solutions file, plus a small \
> > patch to the CMakeLists.txt file for kgoldrunner/gamedata. I will send them to \
> > you privately to avoid cluttering the KDE Games list with attachments.
> > These levels and solutions were composed by Gabriel Miltschitzky. My contribution \
> > has been editorial.
> > Re the Merge Request and review, Gabriel and I have reviewed and tested all the \
> > levels, hints and solutions. All of them are valid KGoldrunner puzzles, all of \
> > them work, all are playable (by Gabriel, but not all by me :-(), all the \
> > solutions work, all the Help texts and game description work and the texts are, \
> > to the best of my knowledge, in idiomatic US English and ready for translation \
> > into other languages. Gabriel and I have tested all this with KDE 4 and, in his \
> > case, also with a distro of KF5 KGoldrunner.
> > Further review and a small amount of testing are needed to cover the following, I \
> > would suggest:
> > - That KGoldrunner, plus the new set of levels, builds with the latest KF5 \
> >                 environment (I am unable to check this),
> > - That the new set of levels and its description appears in the New Game \
> >                 selection dialog (i.e. Game Of The Living Dead),
> > - That the Messages.sh script correctly extracts for translation new strings and \
> > the translators' note (i.e. that what is extracted is the entirety of what you \
> > see on the screen when you use Help or the game selection dialog in English — \
> > this is to check against a syntax error in the C++ pseudo-code in the game file),
>
> There is a line with
> i18n("");
> in game_GotD.txt which makes no sense, you can't translate "nothing".

My apologies, Albert. That line and the lines just before and after it are meant to \
be extracted as one translatable string, containing two short paragraphs with \n as \
separators.

I am sending you the corrected file privately.

> Since i don't really understand the syntax of that file i can't suggest a solution.

Basically the syntax consists of i18n() or i18nc() function calls (the displayable, \
translatable strings) and C++ comments that contain the data for the KGoldrunner \
levels, but the file is not a complete, compilable C++ program. The game-data files \
("kgoldrunner/gamedata/game_*") all follow the same scheme.

What has happened in this case is an example of how a hand-editing error by me can \
lead to translatable strings being fragmented, truncated or not detected by \
KGoldrunner's Messages.sh script. I hope there will be no more such cases. I wish I \
had some better way to test that than just proof-reading the strings on a screen in \
English.

Cheers,
Ian W.