List:       kde-games-devel
Subject:    Re: D5627: Remove KDELibs4Support from KSudoku
From:       Ian Wadham <iandw.au () gmail ! com>
Date:       2017-04-28 12:33:08

On 28/04/2017, at 6:53 PM, Johan Ouwerkerk wrote:
> View Revision
> ouwerkerk added a comment.
>
> Looks basically sane, don't have enough knowledge of the real inner workings of \
> ksudoku to offer much more feedback than this on the proposed changes.
> However we should probably take the time investigate a couple of follow-up changes:
>
> 	1 • Certain serialisation/deserialisation functions may be consolidated into a \
> couple of new shared functions to reduce the amount of duplicated logic there.  2 • \
> There is a somewhat oddly located "globals.h" which is included all over the place \
> and smells. What to do about this?  3 • KSudoku::updateShapesList() should be \
> cleaned up, to not do hacky things with file paths when there is perfectly good Qt \
> API for this already.

I agree with points 1 and 3.  Actually I think that whole use of temporary files \
could probably be removed.  I believe KSudoku has never needed to load puzzle-graph \
(SKGraph) files over the Internet.  Certainly I have never needed the facility during \
the several years I worked on KSudoku.

Re point2, the file "globals.h" may "smell" but I think you would remove/replace it \
at your peril.  I cleaned it up as much as I felt safe.  I think you will find that \
most KDE Games of any size have such a file and a hell of a lot of the games' inner \
workings depend on it.  It was the way people did things 8-10 years ago.  Also, like \
you, I found that the "real inner workings" of KSudoku were extremely opaque when I \
took over maintenance of it, mainly because it had been left in a state where it \
usually generated easy puzzles regardless of the Difficulty setting chosen.  So \
things could be worse.

Cheers,
Ian W.
Former maintainer and developer of KSudoku