List:       kde-games-devel
Subject:    Use of KFileDialog/QFileDialog in KSudoku
From:       Ian Wadham <iandw.au () gmail ! com>
Date:       2017-04-22 21:01:44

Hi guys, and thanks for all the work you have been doing on KSudoku
re KUrl/QUrl this weekend.

One thing bothers me - the usage of KFileDialog in the Save and Save as=85=
 actions.

a) Should we be using QFileDialog?  I definitely prefer it because, =
among other
     things, it uses a native file dialog on (e.g.) Apple OS X.  IOW =
users get consistent
     file dialogs in apps from Apple, KDE and all other FOSS that uses =
Qt.

    OTOH, you may lose the ability to save KSudoku games on the Internet =
(i.e.
    support only local files in saving and loading KSudoku games).  I =
don't think
    network saves would be any great loss.  After all, you can always =
attach a
    saved KSudoku game to an email or put it in a drop box.  What do =
others think?

b) And if we stop using KFileDialog, what happens about that idiom of
     KFileDialog that says:
           KFileDialog::getSaveUrl(KUrl("kfiledialog:///ksudoku"))?

     IIRC/IIUC that idiom saved/found a previously used URL (if any) in =
the user's
     config area.  I don't think QFileDialog has an equivalent.

c) BTW, did "D5544: Port usage of KUrl and friends to equivalent =
constructs with QUrl"
    miss some usage of KUrl in KSudoku::gameSave() and =
KSudoku::gameSaveAs()
    in file src/gui/ksudoku.cpp?

Great work guys.

Cheers, Ian W.