On Monday 25 January 2010 4:53:59 am Parker Coates wrote: > In this particular case, there would be no chance of someone > successfully claiming ownership of the general concept of a > boats-on-a-grid game, because as has been pointed out numerous times, > the general concept predates any particular commercial offering as a > simple pen and paper game. > > Commercial versions of similar games have been available since 1890, > but Milton's Bradley's 1967 board game was the first to use the name > "Battleship". This particular version caught on (at least in North > America) and became the de facto boats-on-a-grid game. As a result, > the name spread to informal pen and paper variants which had existed > under other names for a very long time. > FWIW I used to play pen-and-paper Battleships with my father about 60 years ago, i.e. in the 1950's, however I doubt if we have much chance of unseating the trademark at this late stage ... :-) Cheers, Ian W. _______________________________________________ kde-games-devel mailing list kde-games-devel@kde.org https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-games-devel