List:       kde-games-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kde-games-devel] Chess game for KDE4
From:       Miha Čančula <miha.cancula () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-12-04 22:09:31

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

2009/12/4 Stefan Majewsky <majewsky@gmx.net>

> Am Freitag, 4. Dezember 2009 13:13:30 schrieb Ian Wadham:
> > Just to remind everybody ... there are three reasons to prefer
> KGameCanvas
> > over QGV ... speed, speed and speed.  I do not know if QGV is yet fast
> >  enough all the time to run KGoldrunner.  It always was fast enough most
> of
> >  the time, but you cannot tolerate hiccups of a substantial fraction of a
> >  second, while QGV decides to go off and do some housekeeping, if your
> game
> >  is running to a 50 msec timescale.
>
> I've never experienced such "hiccups" since Qt 4.5, and 4.6 is even better
> in
> this regard. Remember that QGV is the base for the Widgets-NG framework
> that
> people at Nokia are building. If my information is correct, the long-term
> plan
> is to replace the current widgets by something based on QGV.

In my example, QGV is actually faster than KGC because:
 - the scene is separated from the view, so it doesn't have to be redrawn on
every resize (or maybe I was just using it wrong)
 - there is QGraphicsSvgItem, which is a quite nice considering KDE Games
themes are mostly svg files.

> > If KGCanvas were ever to depart, I might consider going to 2-D OpenGL.
> > I found out when writing Kubrick that OpenGL is blisteringly fast
> compared
> > to any offerings based on Qt (such as QGV and KGCanvas).  I think that is
> > why OpenGL is behind Qt paint engine and composite graphics trickery in
> > KDE 4 windows.

But Kubrick is in 3D, while both QGV and KGC are made for 2D drawing.

--
Lenoba je mati Modrosti.